As of 2024, Cranbrook Community Theatre has presented and produced top notch theatrical treasures for 60 years! Thousands of people have enjoyed contributing to some very fine works and many more have been entertained. Please contact us if you’re interested in becoming involved, on stage or backstage, in some of the finest theatre work in the Kootenays.
Cranbrook Community Theatre (CCT) has considered the Studio/Stage Door their home for 50 years (1974-2024). A City owned heritage building, the Studio/Stage Door has a 1050 square foot hardwood dance floor and an 83 seat theatre.
This charming building is very eye-catching, and was built in 1909 by the local Masons as their Temple. There have been hundreds of plays and musical events here over the years. The space within is comfortable and very adaptable.
The Studio has hosted classes and events of all types, ranging from ballet, highland dance, ballroom and belly dance, to weddings, punk rock and hip hop concerts, fine art exhibitions, and fashion shows.
The Stage Door has seen many, many theatre plays from the CCT as well as from local Shakespeare players, high school and middle school productions and travelling professional shows. There have also been hundreds of musical performances by local performers as well as countless modern troubadours and singer-songwriters.
Our Motto: Theatre for the community, by the community
Cranbrook Community Theatre proudly offers two mission statements to emphasize the duality of our non-profit organization.
Since the 1960’s the Cranbrook Community Theatre Society has been a vital part of the arts scene in Cranbrook and neighbouring communities.
Our first mission is to:
• produce and present theatrical works of the highest calibre
• cultivate and engage the community in the dramatic arts
• inspire and develop local dramatic talent and dramatic allied theatrical forms
• stimulate and emphasize the value of drama in the community
Cranbrook Community Theatre is proud to have been granted stewardship of a city-owned heritage building, called the Studio/Stage Door in downtown Cranbrook, since 1974. As a registered non-profit society, we play a vital role in securing and administrating this unique venue.
• being part of the cultural heritage of Cranbrook by maintaining the building
• providing a home for the Cranbrook Community Theatre Society
• contributing to the arts culture of Cranbrook by offering rehearsal, staging, theatre, dance and musical rental space for the arts community
• offering a rental space for the meetings and activities of others right in the downtown core of our community